Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

Snowy


Today was about the four zillionth snowy day of the 2013-2014 winter.   [Scientific fact.  Google it.] The weather forecast says we're going to have a high temp around 40 degrees tomorrow, but I'm not going to get my hopes up until it actually happens!  Between the "too cold" days (our school district cancelled a few days because it was below zero in the morning when kids would be going to school...but then decided the freezing temps were here to stay so they stopped canceling), and the blizzard days, it's always roulette when I wake up.  Will the kids have school today?  Who knows...better check the cancellation website!

When I woke up this morning, I saw white-out conditions out my bedroom window.  The snow gave way to rain a couple hours later, then it morphed back to snow.  Somewhere in the middle of the afternoon, we saw a flash of lightning and a good, healthy roll of thunder.  While it was snowing.  Until about a year ago, I didn't even know that "thundersnow" was a thing.  It only feels slightly end-of-times-ish.

I was going to release my "end-of-winter" pattern tomorrow, but with the snow today, I just couldn't resist getting it out a day early.  This is my last stab at winter gear for this year....a slouchy color work hat called "Snowy".
 Never done color work before?  This might be a great introduction to color work for you!  Most of the pattern is written, but the color work is presented in chart form.  The repeat is only 6 stitches, so it's very easy to read.

The pattern also includes a box full of "Tips for Color Work" in case you're a newbie.  Experienced color-workers will find this pattern a cinch.













The tosh dk yarn I used for the sample was a dream.  This folks at madelinetosh really know how to make fantastic yarn.  If I could only take 3 brands of yarn with me on a desert island, tosh yarn would definitely be one of my choices!

This hat is slouchy, modern, and warm.  The sample hat took me about 2 days to make and 3 of my testers finished theirs in less than a week.  Start one tonight and you'll have it ready for gifting by Friday!

The Snowy pattern is available on Ravelry and in my Etsy Shop.

A big thank you goes out to my test knitters: Elin, Bridy, Sally & Jonel.  I appreciate all your work & feedback on this test knit and am happy you all created such lovely hats!



No comments:

Post a Comment