Translate

Monday, November 24, 2014

Featured Designer: Kate Martin

One of the reasons the Gift-A-Long is such a fun thing for indie designers to participate in is that we get the chance to discover other designers who are involved in doing the same kind of work. As a knitter, I am participating in two of the KALs, and I've added a number of patterns to my Ravelry favorites list because I've seen some lovely patterns in the KAL threads!

One of the things the participating designers are doing for each other is introducing other participating designers on their knitting blogs. I had the pleasure of interviewing Kate Martin, a new designer who just began publishing knitting patterns this year. If you are into shawls or lacy patterns, she might be right up your alley!

Please share 3 fun facts about yourself, Kate:

I’m a huge fan of Jerry Lewis. I hate all boybands with a passion! My favourite film is Strictly Ballroom.

Can you describe your aesthetic?

My aesthetic is for clean, simple designs that although simple still have impact, as well as an element of challenge for less experienced knitters.

Do you set design goals for yourself? What is one of your current goals?

My designs tend to start with a stitch pattern that I like the look of, and things just tend to evolve from there. I do tend to buy yarn specifically for future designs, usually with a type of design in mind rather than ‘ooh, this yarn would be nice for something’. I’ve actually got ‘design yarn’ for at least four bigger projects - cardigans or something similar - so I could say one of my current goals is to design a pretty cardigan - but for now I’m quite content to get some more accessory patterns under my belt first before I take that next step.

What do you enjoy most about designing?

Making something unique, definitely, and developing my own unique style.

What part of designing do you not enjoy?

The long process from getting that initial idea to actually starting to knit. I can be quite indecisive, and I can spend weeks agonising over stitch patterns, yarn, colour etc before I actually feel ready to start knitting anything. And I’m a procrastinator too, which doesn’t help - I really annoy myself sometimes!

What has surprised you about being a knitting pattern writer?

I think the most surprising thing was how difficult it is to actually write a good pattern. I’ve always found writing easy, and I’m good at it - so it was quite a shock to discover that pattern writing is an art! Thankfully I have a great tech editor who keeps my writing on the straight and narrow.

What other handicrafts do you enjoy doing?

When I have time (which isn’t often) I like making cards and scrapbooking - I used to have a papercrafting supplies shop and website and at one point I used to scrapbook daily. I really want to get into sewing too - it’s just a case of finding the time to get my sewing machine out and have a play.

Who are some designers you look up to?

Krydda from Yarn-Madness 
 My absolute favourite designer is Madeleine Nilsson (Yarn Madness) - I think she is incredibly talented. During the GAL I’ve discovered some fantastic designers that I wasn’t familiar with before - Lee Meredith and Tori Gurbisz to name but two.















                                                             



Leksak Lady from Yarn-Madness




What was your favorite knit of 2014?

That’s an easy one - Leksak Lady, by Madeleine Nilsson - it’s very versatile and so pretty. If I had to pick one of my own designs, it would have to be Nell.











Nell from Kate Martin
What is your most popular pattern and do you have any guesses as to why that one found the largest audience among knitters?

My portfolio is still quite small, but my most popular pattern to date has been Nell - and I’d like to think that’s because it’s a classic shawl that won’t go out of style.



Do you work in a field in addition to pattern writing, or are you focused exclusively on this work?

Yes, I have fingers in lots of pies! My main job is as a manager in the NHS - amongst other things I’m responsible for ensuring that all human tissue transplants we carry out in our department meet the legislative requirements of the Human Tissue Authority - it’s really interesting work. I also have a ‘hobby’ job doing all the admin for a medical association and helping to organise their annual conference; and I’m also a partner in the family business - making rubber stamps. Life is certainly busy, but never dull!

Kate is one of the 293 indie designers who have come together to make this year's Gift-A-Long a big success!  You can see all of her designs on Ravelry here, and if you'd like to browse through all the designers who are participating this year, you can find them here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment