Translate

Monday, September 24, 2012

What's Happening?

The blog hasn't been updated in a while, but I've been knitting every day! 

I have been working on a project for "The Fat Squirrel's" LoKal (that's local yarn knit-a-long for those of you who don't speak knitter-eze).  She started in early in September and it'll run until October 14th.  The point is to buy yarn that is produced relatively locally to you and make something out of it. 

I bought this Happy Go Lucky sock yarn in Buffalo Grove when I was on my Chicago & Southern Wisconsin yarn crawl back in early August.  The woman behind Happy Go Lucky yarns is out of Aurora, IL, so I figured that was local enough to me.  I wanted this yarn to be socks really badly.  I wrote a pattern for cabled socks and started knitting, but the yarn said it didn't want to be cabled socks.  I wrote a second sock pattern that used textured stitches, but the variegation in the yarn didn't let the texture stand out the way I wanted.  So I decided to listen to the yarn.  It didn't want to be socks, it wanted to be a sweater.

And since I only have one 460-yd skein, it was going to have to settle for being a baby sweater!  I wrote out a new pattern and did the math.....  The 12-month size will supposedly take 433 yards, plus it'll probably be finished with an i-cord which will take another 20-30 yds.  So I'm hoping to make it by the skin on my teeth!  I already found a willing baby model, although pictures might have to wait until later this winter when she's more toward the 12-month size rather than the 6 month size I think she's currently wearing. 

Anyhoo, you Ravelers can check out my progress on my project page if you're interested, and if you want to play in the LoKal, too, there's still plenty of time!  Just find some local yarn, make a project and post it to the appropriate thread in the Fat Squirrel's Ravelry group by October 14th.  And for heaven's sake, if you haven't watched her video podcast yet, what are you waiting for?  Very entertaining and chock full of not only knitting but also just regular life silliness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment