Translate

Monday, February 11, 2013

Cable-y Goodness

 I've been playing around with this design in my head for a while, in fact, I believe I even posted about it once before.  I've been imagining a cuddly pullover with a gorgeous chunky cable in the design.

Playing around with tweedy yarn and a cable idea from my imagination, I came up with the design at left.  It was fine, but I wasn't wowing myself.




As luck would have it, I recently ordered one of the Barbara Walker Treasury of Stitch Patterns....Number 3 to be precise.  It arrived last Friday and I dove into it.  Included in this stitch dictionary was a few chapters on different types of cables.  I strongly prefer reading patterns from written instructions rather than charts, but I was very pleased with myself for decoding the chart for one of the fancier cables in the treasury:

Knitting this cable up definitely felt like an accomplishment, but once I had translated the chart to written instructions, I felt confident that anyone who understands the basic concept of cabling can be successful with the pattern I'm planning to write.

I submitted my proposal to the Knit Picks Independent Designer Program today, and if they accept it, I'll be using their City Tweed HW yarn for this pullover.  If not, I may use Plymouth Encore Worsted Tweed instead (it's what I made the swatch out of.) I think either yarn would be a good match for the look I'm wanting to achieve.

1 comment:

  1. That swatch should be in one of those optical illusion books. Well done!

    ReplyDelete