Translate

Monday, May 7, 2012

God is Pro-Knitting, Anti-Housework

I know - that's a pretty bold statement.  And until yesterday, it's not one I would have ever made.  But a recent personal experience has taught me that the All-Powerful Universal Force is a much bigger fan of creating than of cleaning.  Here's my evidence:

Exhibit A: We have giant locust trees in our backyard.  Around this time of year, they drop seeds all over our backyard.  It's messy, sticks to our feet, and my family drives me a little nuts by tracking the seeds into the house through the back door (there's a mat there...what's keeping you from wiping your feet, people?)

 Exhibit B: Yesterday afternoon, I happily sat, knitting away with my pretty green yarn.  After about an hour, I started to hear that little voice in the back of my mind.  You know, the one that says, "Aren't you the Lady In Charge around here?  Isn't there something that needs your attention?  Should you really spend the entire afternoon knitting?"   Normally, I'm good at telling that voice to take a hike, but after spending pretty much every spare moment all week on my knitting, I decided I'd humor the voice and do a token chore.

Exhibit C: Brilliantly combining my surrender to housework with my love of knitting, I decided to sweep off the back patio and set up our patio furniture.  Once it was all cleaned off, I could resume my knitting outside and enjoy the beautiful weather.

Exhibit D: When I carried the broom & dustpan to the backyard, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, it was in the mid-80s with a very light breeze.  I spent about 45 minutes sweeping up all the seeds and leaves (it had been a while, so there was plenty to collect!)  Then I dug out a working hose nozzle so I could wash off the chunks of mud and the seeds that were stuck to the patio.  My husband carried the patio table out of the basement and we got that set up. 

Exhibit E: Just as I was finishing up, the wind started to blow and the sky became very overcast.  I heard thunder in the distance and had the sinking realization that I had just spent an hour creating a clean patio that was going to be a mess again in just a few minutes.  There are probably nicer ways to make you point, Lord, but I got the message loud & clear.  Housework will always be there and every finished chore will need to be done again before too long.   I will remember that next time I hear that rotten voice trying to tell me that there are toilets that need to be cleaned or floors that need to be vacuumed. 

Exhibit F:  That patio?  After an evening of rain and more showers overnight, it looks like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment